When you’re planning an upcoming move, your to-do list will grow exponentially in the coming days. Moving any distance, from across the city to across the country, isn’t a one-man job. You can find a local moving company that is worth every penny and that will help you get the job done quickly.
First, you need to set aside a budget for the expense. Find out how much a professional moving company will cost nearby.
Average Cost of a Moving Company
On average, hiring a professional moving company nearby will cost around $1,250 for a local move. The average for a long distance move – over 1,000 miles – is typically around $5,000. Of course, these prices can vary significantly. You need to account for the number of rooms in your current home, your total possessions, and the weight of the entire endeavor.
Factors Affecting Total Costs
When it comes to a move of any size, there are factors that will directly affect the total cost of your upcoming move. These include:
- Fees – Most moving companies charge a travel fee, which can add up over time on the road. These fees account for fuel, labor, and distance.
- Home Size – The size of your home will play a huge role in determining the total cost. If you have a large home, it will take longer to pack and load the belongings, and the total truckload will be heavier.
- Packing – If you choose to add professional packing services to your move, then that’s an additional cost to consider. Many moving companies do offer packing services, which can save you a significant amount of time.
- Storage – If you’re moving, storage services are a better choice than keeping everything in the truck. However, storage rates will vary between each moving company.
- Coverage – If you use a moving company, you need to have liability coverage. Most professional moving companies offer various levels of protection for your move. Purchasing additional moving coverage, especially from a third-party provider, can add to your moving costs greatly.
Deducting Moving Costs
Save your receipts from all moving expenses; these costs are tax-deductible. If you plan on donating any items, furniture, or old possessions from your home, you can itemize each of these items and keep a donation receipt.
The IRS states that you can deduct moving costs if you are moving due to work, you are moving a long distance, or if your move takes a long time.